ACTION REQUIRED BY THE PEOPLE
Senate Bill (SB-5062) aimed at Criminalizing Squatting in Foreclosed Homes
The digest of this bill reads:
“SB 5062 zz- DIGEST Clarifies the law to provide additional tools to courts, law enforcement, and communities to deal with the threat that squatters pose on foreclosed property. Provides that a person is guilty of criminal trespass of a dwelling in foreclosure if he or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling in which an action is currently pending for foreclosure or has been recently filed on the dwelling and which has been vacated by the owner of record.”
Here’s the link: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5062
“This is very alarming and will make our work more difficult if it passes. Out of the nine sponsors, three are Democrats. I just put calls into all of them. I asked them why they would ever support such a bill.
This bill further criminalizes post auction resistance, serves Wall Street interests in the liquidation of our State’s wealth, and increases gentrification and blight. The very idea that they’re concerned with squatting when there are more empty homes than people living on the street–while homeless shelters are seeing their budgets cut and are being closed down–show’s exactly who this bill serves.
I’m not particularly interested in spending time lobbying when we have so much work to do in the streets of Seattle, but this bill makes SAFE’s community organizing efforts all the more difficult. In this case, we’ve got no choice but to pay attention to what Olympia is doing.”
Call to ACTION: Call your representatives! Call the Sponsors! Tell them this is WRONG for the PEOPLE! 1.800.562.6000
This is blatant corporatist protectionism, it’s time for government to protect the people, because…
Housing is a Human Right!
- Friday January 25th – 3:30 PM. Dual action; delivering Jeremy’s unrent check and picketing at Wells Fargo (on 3rd and Marion) on behalf of all families fighting WF to stay in their homes. If there are other Bank Tenants who are struggling with Wells Fargo let us know.
- Tuesday January 29th – Eviction Blockade Training will be the focus of our weekly meeting at 7 PM. This is important preparation for the imminent event. Please plan to be there.
Other Upcoming & Ongoing Events:
- 7:00 – 8:30 PM, Tuesdays: Organizational Meeting at the SAFE House at Bethany UCC. All are welcome!
- Working Group meetings:
- Message – Tuesdays at 5:15 PM at the SAFE House
- Organizers – Tuesdays at 6:00 PM at the SAFE House
- Resource – Wednesdays at 5:00 PM at the SAFE House
- Tactical – Wednesdays at 6:30 PM at the SAFE House
- ITC – Mondays at 5:00 PM on Google Hangouts
- 1:30 – 4:30 PM, Saturdays: Outreach meeting and Door-to-Door canvassing. We are making this time a regular weekly event, rain or shine.
This Past Week:
- Thursday January 17th – Robo Call mishap. We were all set to start the calls days before Thursday. Somehow the calls started early and the list of numbers was all across the country and there was no SAFE message. The staff at FUSE was inundated with angry callees. This was terribly unfortunate and SAFE is now forced to set up our own phone system. We are eager to write grant applications to make this possible. Our apologies to all at FUSE.
- Monday January 21st – MLK Day presentation and march. We had a great day, we handed out many flyers, did a fantastic presentation thanks to Josh, Lyn, Ben, Natalie, Betsy, Evonne and Sonia. There were an estimated 7,000 people in the march and we had a beautiful sign. Thanks to everyone who volunteered to help and march.
- Tuesday January 22nd – Neighborhood Meeting was a great success thanks to Lyn who bottom-lined the event. The Northwest Consumer Law Center, David Lean’s organization, sent 3 attorneys, and Jacob Wicks was there from Housing Justice Project and King County Bar Assoc. We had 40 people in attendance despite the Robo Call mishap. The meeting was motivating and received well by newcomers. Next neighborhood meeting we intend to have 80+ people.