August 6, 2013
Folks here in Washington State, across America, likely throughout the civilized world, and quite possibly in neighboring galaxies have a new name for Republicans: the G.O.P.
Nope, not the Grand Old Party of upstanding statesmen from Lincoln to Eisenhower, but the current corporate-backed incarnation, the Grand Obstruction Party.
The sole purpose of todayâ€™s GOP is to bring economic and social progress to a screeching halt. And theyâ€™re damn good at it.
- Jobs? Republicans have put a halt creating family-wage jobs. Theyâ€™d rather you work for minimum wage, or preferably less, without benefits of course. Hence the Republican attack on unions. Instead of encouraging workersâ€™ rights, championing higher pay and basic benefit packages, the Grand Obstruction Party wants that all to simply disappear so that their â€œfree marketâ€ (in other words, unobstructed by any kind of regulationsâ€”or ethics, for that matter) corporate backers can continue to increase their already grotesque profits exponentially.
- Made in America? Forget it. Republicans prefer outsourcing. Easier and cheaper to deal with third-world factory collapses than to be beholden to good old American labor. Whatâ€™s a few dead Asians compared to a soaring stock market?
- Equal pay? Republicans know where women belong. Minorities, too. The kitchen would be a great place for both, according to the GOP. Or maybe manicuring a CEOâ€™s lawn.
What to do? Well, friends and neighbors, your members of Congress are about to return home for a series of off-year, off-session (as if the GOP ever accomplished anything on-session) town hall meetings.
Attend those meetings. Exercise your democratic right to ask your elected officials a few questions. Such as:
- Where are the jobs? We need roads, bridges, schools, hospitals and all manner of other infrastructure built and re-built. How come weâ€™re not doing that?
- Continued outsourcingâ€¦are you kidding me? Americans work harder, smarter, and produce goods weâ€™re proud of. Why does the Grand Obstruction Party actively support sending jobs overseas?
- Why canâ€™t we earn a decent living? CEOs are raking in mega-bucks; profits are at an all-time high. What about the working people who actually make it all happen?
Go to your local town hall gatherings. This is America. Let no right-wing corporatist obstruct you from standing up and speaking your mind!
Originally published at examiner.com