During this year’s legislative session, the State Senate, under control of the Republicans and Rodney Tom, rejected the $10 billion state transportation budget passed by the House (House Bill 1954 and House Bill 1955). Republicans voiced opposition to the proposed $0.10/gallon sales tax, to prevailing wage requirements, to mass transit, and to environmental regulations. This despite considerable business support for transportation funding.
Senate Transportation Committee co-chairs Sens. Curtis King, R-Yakima, and Tracey Eide, D-Federal Way will be holding public meetings to discuss the transportation budget. See King announces listening tour to discuss MCC reform ideas and State transportation hearing coming to Spokane.
The dates and locations of the public meetings are:
- Sept. 17 – Bellevue (Northwest Region) 6-9 p.m.
- Stevenson Elementary School, 14220 NE 8th St., Bellevue, WA 98007
- Sept. 18 – Everett (Northwest Region) 6-9 p.m.
- Snohomish County, Robert Drewel Building, 3000 Rockefeller Ave., 1st floor, Everett, WA 98201
- Sept. 23 – Wenatchee (North Central Region) 6-9 p.m.
- Chelan County PUD Auditorium, 327 N Wenatchee Ave., Wenatchee, WA 98801
- Sept. 24 – Yakima (South Central Region) 6-9 p.m.
- Yakima Area Arboretum, Garden View Rm., 1401 Arboretum Dr., Yakima, WA 98901
- Sept. 26 – Tri-Cities 6-9 p.m.
- Columbia Basin College, Gjerde Center, 2600 N. 20th Ave., Pasco, WA 99301
- Oct. 2 – Spokane (Eastern Region) 6-9 p.m.
- Greater Spokane Inc., 801 W. Riverside, Spokane, WA 99201
- Oct. 7 – Vancouver (Southwest Region) 6-9 p.m.
- Vancouver Community Library, Columbia Room, 901 C St., Vancouver, WA 98660
- Oct. 9 – Tacoma (Olympic Region) 6-9 p.m.
- Evergreen Tacoma Campus, Lyceum Hall, 1210 6th Ave., Tacoma, WA 98405
- Oct. 14 – Seattle 6-9 p.m.
- King County Courthouse, Room 1001, 516 3rd Avenue, 10th Floor , Seattle, WA 98104
- Oct. 15 – Bellingham 6-9 p.m.
- Port of Bellingham Cruise Terminal, 355 Harris Ave., Bellingham, WA 98225