PETITION: Governor Inslee – Champion a Just Transition to Safer, Sustainable Railroads via Solutionary Rail
Washington State Governor Jay Inslee,Â
The June 3, 2016 explosive oil train derailment in Mosier, Oregon reminded us that the railroads that run through our communities are being utilized in ways that are endangering public health and safety, polluting our water and air, and ultimately harming our oceans and climate. Current railroad uses also negatively impact agriculture shipments, strand rural communities, delay passenger trains, and displace other higher-value potential for rail. As we have told you before, this does not have to be the case. Â We need your leadership to change it. Â And we need it now.
Bomb Trains have no place in the railroad industry’s business model nor in the future of safe and sustainable rail transport.Â Â We therefore echo our allies in the call for a moratorium on the shipping of explosive Bakken oil through our communities. Â But it is not enough to say “No.” That is why we have worked for three years to craft a vision to which all can proclaim a Â resounding Â “YES!”Â
Solutionary RailÂ is a proposal that places railroads at the center of aÂ sustainable transport infrastructureÂ redefining the future of US rail.Â It charts a path that overcomes the impediments to infrastructure improvement on our privately owned railroads through public-private partnership to finance, build and run a publicly owned electrificationÂ and transmissionÂ system.Â It mandates that this system be fed by distributed renewable energy generation along the route and raises the bar on protecting railroad workers and communities along the tracks.
Solutionary RailÂ is a catalyst project that creates synergies for positive movement and a broader just transition away from fossil fuel use and transport.
Shipping freight by electrified rail is efficient, requiring approximately 10-25 percent of the energy required to ship by diesel truck. Â Rail electrification results in dramatic capacity improvements and track speeds up to 80 and 120 MPH for high-value freightÂ andÂ passengers respectively. Â Electrifying corridors unlocks the potential for distributed renewable energy generation and prosperity for rural communities, tribes, and power co-operatives along the route.
Running rail on renewable energy results in near-zero carbon emissions. ThisÂ addresses trains’ contribution to rural and urban public health problems caused by burning diesel. Rail electrification will nearly eliminate the need for long-haul trucking and therefore reduce that source of emissions as well. Â This will make freeways more safe, less burdened by the trucks that cause the most traffic fatalities and exact a disproportionate physical toll on the infrastructure itself.
Solutionary Rail is a key component of a just transition away from the fossil fuel economy.Â Improvements in speed, service and capacity will draw passengers and freight off deteriorating, overcrowded freeways and clogged airports and back onto the trains and tracks.Â This increase in capacity combined with establishing regular freight and passenger schedules will improve service and undue a systemic cause of worker fatigue. Â No longer living without a schedule, on call 24/7/365 rail workers and communities they travel through will be safer and happier.
Farmers and businesses will be able to confidently rely on rail to ship their crops and products to market in a timely manner. This increase in higher value use will displace railroads’ current business model dependent upon the transport of dirty and dangerous fossil fuel commodities. Â It will be replaced by a business model that serves rail companies, their workers, and the communities and regional economies they connect.
Solutionary Rail’sÂ phase I is the route from Salish Sea to the Great Lakes, principally on BNSFâ€™s Northern Transcon. Â Successful rail electrification and modernization in the United States must start with a successful demonstration on a major rail line.Â Â The Northern Transcon is a nationally important transport route, crossing diverse weather patterns and regional economies. It offers the perfect opportunity to successfully demonstrate rail electrification’s potential to deliver of renewed vitality for US railroads and economy.
Electrified, higher-speed rail provides the foundation for sustainable jobs and prosperity through improved transportation access and stable long-term costs.Â By spurring the creation of aÂ Steel Interstate Development AuthorityÂ to finance electrification with low interest public bonds and building a rail electrification partnership with BNSF and others across the Northern Transcon, youÂ Governor InsleeÂ will be making Washington State a launch pad for the clean energy revolution you have long sought. We implore you Governor Inslee to lead with vision andÂ champion theÂ Solutionary RailÂ proposal.
Here are the action steps we need you to take Governor Inslee:Â
- Personally ChampionÂ theÂ Solutionary RailÂ vision for a future railroad industry and infrastructure that is no longer dependent upon shipping dirty and dangerous fossil fuel commodities.
- CreateÂ an executive level task force of cabinet and agency leads to work with theÂ Solutionary RailÂ technical team to study and enhance the proposal and guarantee that its key public benefit components cannot be negotiated away.
- ConveneÂ a leadership summit, drawing in relevant governors, agency and elected officials to adopt an implementations plan for this inter-jurisdictional proposal and a pathway for creating a multi-stateÂ Steel Interstate Development AuthorityÂ able to implementÂ Solutionary Rail’sÂ phase I pilot from the Salish Sea to the Great Lakes.
- NegotiateÂ a win/win partnership with Northern Transcon railroad owners including BNSF and its owner, Berkshire Hathaway led by Warren Buffett to access all necessary right of ways to build out and maintain the electrification and transmission infrastructure across theÂ Solutionary RailÂ phase I corridor.
- BeginÂ the electrification build-out and development of stranded renewable energy assets acrossÂ Solutionary RailÂ route, andÂ transition to a duel powered and pure electric locomotive fleet for higher-speed freight and passenger rail to creates new customers and draw old ones off of the roads and back onto the tracks.
So once again Governor Inslee:
We the undersigned call upon you to be the champion we and future generations need you to be.Â Re-spark yourÂ passion for clean renewable solutions articulated in your bookÂ Apollo’s Fire. Â Protect our land and people from bomb trains and the fossil fuel driven economy. Lead boldly and use your power to get railroads on a track to a future we can all be proud of.Â
Champion Backbone Campaign’sÂ Solutionary RailÂ proposal.
With Respect and Urgency,
The Backbone Campaign
& Undersigning Allies