Time: April 16, 2011 from 9:30am to 5pm
Location: Seattle City Hall – Bertha Landes Room
Street: 600 Fourth Avenue
City/Town: Seattle, WA
Event Type: community, gathering
Organized By: Compassionate Action Network
This event is NOT full! Some peopple have reported that the event is full. It’s not full and we have room for you!
The Compassionate Action Network, Seeds of Compassion, and the City of Seattle invite you to come and participate in a six month cross-sector cooperation kicking off on April 16th at Seattle City Hall. Come be inspired by stories of compassionate action in our community and engage with others in the movement here and beyond and participate in a six month cooperation to create collective impact. As the first city in the world to affirm the Charter of Compassion last April, the commitment was made. Now we are all working to bring the word into deed: commitment to consciousness and action.
What is a compassionate city? A compassionate city creates conditions that are conducive to life. It recognizes compassion as an ethical imperative in its policy decisions. A compassionate city deepens the quality and the extent to which its citizens embrace compassion in caring for its own neighbors. Come be inspired by stories of
compassionate action in our community and engage with others in the movement here and beyond.
No single organization, however innovative or powerful, can solve the challenges we face; but we can come together and turn what we have into what we need. We are collectively advancing a shared story based on values such as cooperation, sharing, empathy, and happiness.
Our community officials and neighbors have been promoting these values in the areas of business, justice and law, health, family and youth, arts, food, spirituality, social, cultural, economic and environmental sustainability. We will gather to hear and weave our individual efforts to produce “collective impact” – common purpose realized through cross-sector alignment and coordination. Join us to share your story and to be a part of an emerging compassionate city. Free will offerings are welcomed.
In the morning we will interact with:
- Compassionate Action Network – Anil Singh-Morales
- Youth Ambassadors – Lori Markowitz
- Seattle Human Services Coalition – Julia Sterkovsky
- Compassionate Response Network – Andrea Brenneke
We will offer an onsite lunch for a nominal fee – details to follow.
In the afternoon we will organize into breakout groups led by:
- Cascadia Center – John Hale
- City of Seattle: Engage Seattle – Sol Villarreal
- County Wide Community Forums – John Spady
- Sustainable Communities on Campuses – Libuse Binder
- Ideal Network – Ronny Bell
- Seattle Office of Civil Rights – Julie Nelson
- Local Food Action Initiative – Phyllis Shulman
- Network Weaving – Viki Sonntag, Bill Aal
- Seattle Innovators – Joe Brewer
- Sustainable Seattle – Laura Musikanski